History of CPSE
Following a decade of collaboration between the International Association of Fire Chiefs (IAFC) and the International City/County Management Association (ICMA), in 1996, the Commission on Fire Accreditation International (CFAI) was formed. CFAI would award accreditation to fire and emergency services agencies focused on continuous improvement. That continuous improvement mindset has permeated our history. In 2000, the Commission on Chief Fire Officer Designation was established to credential fire and emergency service officers. Now titled the Commission on Professional Credentialing (CPC), five professional designations are now offered. And in 2006, the corporation’s name was changed to the Center for Public Safety Excellence (CPSE) to reflect the changing landscape of all hazards approach. In 2021, CPSE’s celebrates our 25th anniversary. Over this quarter century, we have grown our programs, our reach, but most importantly our impact.
Faces of CPSE
As part of our 25th Anniversary, we want to give back and have an ambitious goal of donating $25,000 to the National Fallen Firefighters Foundation (NFFF). Each year at our Excellence Conference, we hold a NFFF fundraiser. With the virtualization of our 2021 Excellence Conference, we were unable to hold an in-person fundraiser.
We are instead requesting that CPSE community members consider donating just $25 to the NFFF as a way of celebrating our 25th Anniversary. The online donation link is now live.
25th Anniversary Committee
CPSE owes its success to a shared vision of collaboratively improving health, wellness, and safety outcomes in all communities and a mission to lead the fire and emergency service to excellence through the continuous quality improvement process of accreditation, credentialing, and education. To honor this vision and mission, a 25-member committee was formed to help commemorate CPSE’s 25th Anniversary. Committee members represent CPSE’s past, present, and future and the various stakeholders that comprise the CPSE community.
- Javie Blanco – current CFAI-accredited agency head
- Cindy Bonham, CFO – current CFAI team leader
- Ricky Brockman, CFO – representing Department of Defense
- Randy Bruegman, CFO Emeritus – former CPSE Board President
- Allan Cain, CFO – former CPSE Board President
- Ronny Coleman, CFO Emeritus – original CFAI member
- Norris Croom, CEMSO, CFO – IAFC representative
- Steve Dirksen, CFO – current CFAI Commissioner
- Dawn Dixon – current Consortium Coordinator
- Reggie Freeman, CFO – current CPSE Board Director
- Brian Goss, CFO – current CFO designee
- Stephanie Harpring, CFO, FM – current FM designee
- Cliff Jones – original CFAI-accredited agency
- Rich Marinucci – original CFOD member
- Rick Mason, CFO – original CFO designee
- Mark Puknaitis, CFO – current Consortium Coordinator
- Greg Rogers, CFO, FM – current CPC commissioner
- Debbie Sobotka – current CPSE staff member
- Ben Stone, CFO, CEMSO – current CEMSO designee
- Norma Valdez – current CFAI peer assessor
- Carey Waddell, CFO, CTO, FM – current CPC peer reviewer